Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Because sometimes we need not-chicken

In my quest to see what I can make and freeze I decided to give these coconut shrimp a try. They are from a Weight Watchers blog I read when I was trying to be skinny and I always wanted to try them. I figured if Gorton's could do it, I could too.

Turns out I was right this time. And since they are crispy and sweet the boys ate them up. I think Zach might have tried to make me scrape of the breading but he is ridiculous. That is the best part! I made the dipping sauce but really it was not needed.



Skinny Coconut Shrimp
from Skinnytaste

Servings: 8 • Serving Size: 3 shrimp, 1 tbsp sauce

Ingredients:

  • 1 lb (24) large raw shrimp, peeled and deviened (weight after peeled)
  • 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp shredded sweetened coconut
  • 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp panko crumbs
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 large egg
  • pinch salt
  • non-stick spray
For the Sweet and Spicy Dipping Sauce:
  • 1/2 cup apricot preserves (you can use sugar free if you wish)
  • 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
  • 3/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
Directions:
Preheat oven to 425°. Lightly coat a non-stick baking sheet with oil.
Combine coconut flakes, panko crumbs and salt in a bowl. Place the flour on a small dish. Whisk egg in another bowl.
Lightly season shrimp with salt. Dip the shrimp in the flour, shaking off excess, then into the egg, then in the coconut crumb mixture.
Lay shrimp on the cookie sheet then spray the top of the shrimp with more cooking spray; bake in the middle rack for about 10 minutes. Turn shrimp over then cook another 6-7* minutes or until cooked though. Remove from oven and serve with dipping sauce.
For the sauce, combine all the ingredients and place in a small bowl.

*For freezing I stopped after about 4-5 minutes as they get cooked more when re-heated.

No comments:

Post a Comment