Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Shocking news: I am picky

I really don't like green beans. I don't hate them like Lincee, but I don't like them.


Except from a can or roasted. Yes, roasted (yes, from a can - I love the salt). Liv got me a subscription to Cooks Illustrated a few years back and when I saw this recipe for roasted green beans I thought maybe just maybe it could transform me.
Roasted Green Beans. Photo by gailanng

And it did. Roasting makes the green beans caramelize so they are sweet and salty. They are quick and easy and I roast them in my toaster oven usually next to the pretzel chicken.

I will warn you - they are not pretty. At all. My children want nothing to do with shriveled slightly brown beans. More for me I say and you will too.

I use the smaller haricot vert green beans which I think work better but you can use regular ones too. You can also use frozen green beans. Just defrost in the microwave for 30 seconds then follow the instructions.

Roasted Green Beans
adapted from Food.com

Toss green beans with olive oil to cover (but not fully coated) and some salt and pepper. Lay them on a cookie sheet covered with foil and roast for 10-20 minutes (depending on the size of your beans) in a 450 degree oven tossing once during cooking. When the beans start to shrivel and brown you will know you are doing it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment