Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Because Gwenie told me to



Ugh, you guys I made this tuna dish and had to tell you all about it. I really wanted to like it. And I liked it, but didn't love it. It is super weird, with tuna, anchovies, rice pasta (like I know what that is) and it was created by Gwyenth Paltrow.

Since I, obviously, want to be just like her (but not with weirdly named kids) I just knew I would love it. I kept getting confused with the name, Brown Rice Pasta with Tuna, Olives and Fried Capers, thinking it was brown rice. It is not. She wanted me to buy "brown rice pasta" if I was "avoiding gluten". I am not. I am in fact inviting gluten into my diet.

So once I finally realized I just needed regular pasta, I then had to buy 12 canned anchovy fillets, 2 - 8 oz jars of olive oil packed tuna and capers. Needless to say I spent an inordinate amount of time on the Canned Fish aisle of Randall's. Who knew there were so many different varieties of tuna? Seriously, there are a ton.

But I pushed on. I just knew that I would like this because Gwenie said I would.

It is fairly straight forward once you get all the odd ingredients, though I think the 12 anchovy fillets were overkill. And I think one big can of tuna would also do just fine. Calm down Gwenie, I know we need Omega-3s but calm down.

I really debated about putting this here, but in the end I did like it. It was healthy, if salty, and had fried capers.

Oh, did I not mention that I fried capers?

So here it is with the swaps I will make when I cook it again. In like, two years.

Brown Rice Pasta with Tuna, Olives and Fried Capers
Photo courtesy of Self magazine

Ingredients
8 oz pasta
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup capers, rinsed and dried
1 can anchovy fillets
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 large can olive oil-packed tuna, drained
Juice of 1 lemon

Directions
Cook pasta as directed on package until al dente, 7 to 8 minutes.
In a skillet over high heat, heat oil. Cook capers, stirring, until crispy, 2 minutes. Remove capers with a slotted spoon; transfer to a plate, reserving oil.
Heat reserved oil. Add anchovies, garlic and pepper flakes. Cook, stirring, until anchovies dissolve and garlic begins to brown, 3 to 4 minutes.
Add tuna; stir to break up tuna. Add lemon juice; cook, stirring, until tuna is warmed through and starting to brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
Divide pasta among 4 bowls; divide tuna mixture and capers evenly over pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment