Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Empty the freezer Chicken Pot Pie

Two weeks ago I was determined  not to go to the grocery store for more than milk and fruit. We are a one income family and I have thousands of recipes at my disposal. Surely, I could clean out our freezers and make dinner for my family.

My favorite meal of the week was the chicken pot pie I made on Thursday. I used defrosted chicken breasts, a bag of mixed veggies and the puff pastry that may or may not have expired in September. Don't tell Alex.
It was delicious. I used Martha Stewart's recipe from The Martha Stewart Living Cookbook as a base but just used what I had. I highly recommend trying this if you need to clean out a freezer. 

James liked it once I spooned it out for him (though he did enjoy stabbing the breading) and Zach liked it once he figured out he could eat the breading off the ramekin.
Here is my version of the recipe - creepster face from Zach not included.

Chicken Potpie
Serves 4 (generously)
1 package boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 tbsp olive oil
1 bag mixed veggies (that your family likes)
2 tbsp butter
4 tbsp flour
1 cup chicken stock
1/2 - 1 cup milk
Zest of 1 lemon
1 tbsp dried thyme
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 sheet defrosted puff pastry (or crescent rolls, really any dough will work great)

Directions
1. Cut the chicken breasts into cubes. Salt and pepper the cubes.
2. Brown the chicken in a skillet with the olive oil until brown on the outside and just done on the inside. Set aside.
3. Wipe out skillet and heat the butter. Once melted, add flour and whisk for 1 minute.
4. Add chicken stock then milk and salt and bring to a simmer. Cook until thick and bubbly, stirring the entire time.
5. Add the reserved chicken pieces, thyme, lemon zest, veggies and pepper. Taste and add more salt as needed. I needed to add more milk to this stage as well to fully cover the veggies.
6. Transfer to oven safe baking dish(es).
7. Flatten out puff pastry and cut to fit your dish. Slice a few holes in the top for venting and press to the sides.
If you have an egg, you can do an egg wash by whisking one egg and using a pastry brush to coat the top of the dough. I didn't have an egg (again, not going to the store) and it was fine without.
8. Bake according to the puff pastry package directions until the tops are golden brown.


No comments:

Post a Comment