Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Lemon Chicken and Orzo

I spotted this recipe (I am not even going to waste you time telling you where - you all know) for Lemon Orzo Chicken soup and I thought 1) my kids would eat that and 2) I can use the Meyer lemons I bought at the HEB.
Lemon Chicken and Orzo Soup

It was a success even though I did try to screw it up and sort of did....here is what I did and what I would change.

I didn't have carrots as Alex had thrown them out (since he never eats at home he thinks everything in our fridge is always expired) so I added radishes and celery. Don't do that. The celery was not a good taste and the radishes were fine but they cooked way down and were unrecognizable  I also used the Meyer lemons I was super excited to find. Not good either. Something about that specific taste of lemon was just OK. So in summary - do what she says and don't try to get creative.

Lemon Chicken and Orzo
adapted from Good Life Eats (try not to be scared of her too-happy in her turquoise photo- the recipe is good)
Ingredients:
1 lb cooked and cut up/shredded chicken
1 shallot, diced 
2 cloves garlic
1/3 cup white wine
3 carrots, sliced into rounds
6 cups chicken broth
1/2 - 3/4 cup orzo pasta, uncooked
3 egg yolks
2 - 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
salt and pepper, to taste
1 1/4 teaspoon fresh thyme (I think dried would be fine, but again what do I know)
2 - 3 large handfuls of fresh baby spinach, chopped

Directions:
Add 1 tablespoon of olive or canola oil in a large dutch oven. Saute the shallot over medium-high heat until golden and tender. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute more.
Add the white wine and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the broth and carrot. Bring to a boil. 
Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks and lemon together. Add 1 cup of hot broth very slowly to the egg yolk mixture, whisking as you pour. Pour into the wine/broth mixture. Stir in the orzo, thyme and chicken.
Continue cooking over medium-low until the pasta and carrots are tender (10-15 minutes). 
Just before serving, season to taste with salt and pepper. 
Add the basil, and spinach. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment