Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Brussels Sprouts - the mini way

Seriously people, where is that mini cookbook I asked for? Because this recipe would be a perfect addition. When I saw the close up picture of this salad I thought it looked like tiny leaves. Oh that is because they are - you peel the Brussels sprouts then saute them. Genius. Delicious and mini, I was totally sold.

I am certain I am not unique in my love/hate relationship with brussels sprouts. I really want to like them. And I do, most of the time. But sometimes they just overpower me and gross me out. Not made this way. I don't know if it is because the green leaves are less pungent (totally making that up) or if it is just they get seared a bit with oil and garlic? Either way I have made this dish twice now and loved it both times.

I added the egg the first time (but was too lazy to find almonds) and took it out the next. Honestly I like it better without the egg. Especially if you are eating with a protein, like my lovely ruby red trout below. But for you veggies out there it would be a great filling and healthy lunch meal.




Brussels Sprouts Chop
Adapted from With Style and Grace

Ingredients:
1 lb brussels sprouts
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
3 cloves of garlic
4 large hard boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup slivered/chopped almonds
1/2 teaspoon sea salt

Directions:
Taking one brussels sprout at a time, cut the bottom off and peel from the bottom what you can remove. Peel until you get close to the center and you can’t peel anymore. You may either discard the center or cut in half and roast at a later time. Place all the leaves a bowl.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes. Add brussels sprouts leaves and sauté until slightly wilted or lightly browned. Remove from heat. Add the chopped hard-boiled eggs, slivered almonds and sprinkle with sea salt and mix together.

1 comment: